About the Blog

Once when I was very young, I heard a story about ancient sculptors in Greece and Rome. Sometimes in the process of creating a piece of pottery or a sculpture, artists would make mistakes, like little nicks or cracks.

The way the tale goes, certain sculptors smoothed and covered up these imperfections with wax; this way, their work would fetch a higher price. Honest artists, however, would label their works "sine cera" (without wax), vouching for the work's authentic, imperfect glory.

I loved this story so much, I started signing letters, journal entries, and blog posts this way. When I grew old enough to use the internet, I discovered the story I'd grown to treasure is most likely a piece of folklore. But I hold on to the concept now, more than ever, that our imperfect truths are more valuable than our masks. I believe vulnerability isn't weakness, but one of our greatest strengths. I believe integrity means being honest about highlights and lowlights, mountains and valleys.

This is my journey: to live with transparency, without wax.

"Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." - 2 Cor. 12:9b [ESV]

Comments

Popular Posts