What Love Is.


Once when I was in college I read through 1 Corinthians 13 and realized I had a lot of growing to do, in love. I remembered once seeing the Love Chapter on a friend's refrigerator with a list of temptations next to it, and decided to do the same. Over the next few days I worked through the passage and pinpointed my greatest struggle with each aspect of Love. Then I took each struggle, and created an opposite statement that would motivate positive action.

I wrote it on a handful of index cards, and taped it to my bedroom wall. I recently moved to a new state, and today I taped the list back up in my new room.

I think I'll always look to this list as a reminder to choose love, in all seasons. But I find myself needing it especially, today. Maybe you do too.

Love is patient, even when tired, stressed, or wounded.
Love is kind, even when wronged.
Love does not envy, but treasures gifts already given.
Love does not boast, but holds to the Truth, seeking to keep its word.
Love is not proud, but values vulnerability.
Love does not dishonor others, but holds its tongue - speaking gently and in truth.
Love is not self-seeking, but seeks to serve at the feet of others.
Love is not easily angered, but turns the other cheek.
Love keeps no record of wrongs, but intentionally seeks to forgive.
Love does not ever delight in evil, but always rejoices with the truth.
Love always protects,
and does not try to blame.
Love always trusts
, and listens for the heart.
Love always hopes, even if it hurts.
Love always perseveres, and fights for the hearts of others.

Love never fails.


Without wax,
Sarah.

Comments

Popular Posts